Skills and Experience
• Lead engineer on a 2013 major reformer turnaround including 1.5 years of planning with a budget of over $10MM. Reviewed and supervised the design work of three engineers.
• Executed $500,000+ project to de-bottleneck Crude Unit side cut. Responsible for project framing, financing, detailed engineering design, construction and quality control. Project saved over $100,000 per year.
• Utilized Chevron proprietary project management processes to scope, frame, develop and execute 10+ process plant improvement projects with values of up to $2MM each. Had total responsibility for projects through all phases including engineering design, building and environmental permitting, quality control, construction oversight and financial approval gates.
Equipment repair, specification and procurement:
• Developed engineering specifications to repair, redesign or replace 50+ pieces of process plant equipment including: reactors, furnaces, heat exchangers, reboilers, separators, LPG spheres, reboilers, surface condensers and tanks worth over $3MM in total.
• Worked directly with equipment vendors to manage drawing revisions and quality control. Ensured equipment purchases complied with API, ASME Sec. I, ASME Sec. VIII, NBIC and local regulatory requirements.
• Project manager and engineering lead for 50+ repairs, upgrades and replacements for piping systems including: metallurgical piping upgrades, weld repairs, pressure relief device installation (pilot-operated, balanced bellows and conventional), process valves, control valve manifolds, pump manifolds, pipe support systems (pipe racks, shoes etc.), sample stations, injection systems (quills, orifices etc.) and temporary piping facilities.
• Managed the engineering design for 5+ emergency piping repairs (leak seals, hot taps, freeze plugs etc.) on critical utility systems and high temperature/pressure process lines.
• Ensured API, ASME B31.1, B31.3 and local regulatory compliance.
• Implemented preheating and post-weld heat treatment plans for piping and pressure vessels to ASME and NBIC standards.
• Wrote 15+ engineering instruction packages to upgrade carbon steel piping and pressure vessel metallurgy via weld building and/or appurtenance upgrade to stainless steel, chrome, Hastelloy C-276 and other alloys.
• Represented the Design Engineering Department in five industry-mandated Process Hazard Analysis and Damage Mechanism Review sessions which included plant-wide P&ID specification break reviews.
• Performed Fitness For Service Level I certified calculations on pressure vessel and piping system integrity threats.
• Tracked plant design changes using OSHA-mandated Management of Change and Process Safety Management.